|Plat map of Hoffnungstal|
Source: Homesteaders on the Steppe, p.362
Hoffnungstal (to be very specific, the one in the Tiraspol District, Hoffnungstal parish, Odessa area, located 47°14'78"N, 30°10'55"E) was a Mother colony founded in 1817 (some sources say 1819) by 280 Separatist emigrants primarily from Württemberg. Although Hoffnungstal was considered a part of the Glückstal colonies in Karl Stumpp's Emigration from German to Russia in the Years 1763 to 1862, it is generally accepted that it is its own enclave with plenty of movement between the Hoffnungstal and Glückstal areas.
Hoffnungstal became its own parish in 1837, with nineteen German villages a part of it. A large stone church was built in 1842 by the community
The town had a volost building for the district's administrative offices. There was also a post office, an apothecary, a flour mill, an inn (hostel) and a monopolka (government liquor store). The town also had vineyards and produced good quality wine.
|Location of Hoffnungstal|
- Black Sea German Research website, plat map collection
- The Emigration from Germany to Russia in the Years 1763 to 1862, Karl Stumpp, p. 678
- Germans from Russia Settlement Locations, Hoffnungstal Colonies map
- German-Russian Handbook, Ulrich Mertens, p. 397
- Map of German Settlements in the Odessa Area, Karl Stumpp
- Homesteaders on the Steppe, Joseph S. Height, p. 361-367
# # #