The colony was founded on land that was owned by the Mother colony Teplitz. The colony was originally named Hamburg after the tenant who owned the land. However, the Government later named it Dennewitz in memory of the victory over Napoleon in Dennewitz, Prussia.
Today, Dennewitz is called Pryamobalka (Прямобалка) in the Odessa Oblast, Ukraine.
|Plat map of Dennewitz.|
Source: Heimatkalender der Bessarabiendeutschen 1984
Map courtesy of the Black Sea German Research plat map collection
|Location of Dennewitz|
- American Historical Society of Germans from Russia, Village Files - Dennewitz
- Black Sea German Research website, plat map collection
- Germans from Russia Heritage Society, Village of Dennewitz
- Germans from Russia Settlement Locations, Bessarabian Colonies map
- German-Russian Handbook, Ulrich Mertens, p. 319
- Heimatkalender der Bessarabiendeutschen 1984, Artur Kräenbring, editor
# # #