Ebenfeld was founded in 1914 by settlers from Neu Sarata. The 1923 census recorded 25 households with 99 inhabitants. The population grew to 157 over the next 10 years, and by 1939, there were 255 in habitants. On 23 August 1939, the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact was signed. The German villagers, numbering 180, were repatriated to Germany, forced to leave their homes, workshops and land. After their exodus, the name of the village was changed to Cîmpul Drept. It is now in Moldova, and the 2004 census recorded a population of 410, none of whom declared German ethnicity.
Plat map of Ebenfeld
Source: National Archives and Records Administration & Dale Wahl Collection
Map courtesy of the Black Sea German Research plat map collection
|Location of Ebenfeld|
- Black Sea German Research, plat map collection
- Germans from Russia Heritage Society, Village of Ebenfeld
- Germans from Russia Settlement Locations, Bessarabian Colonies map
- German-Russian Handbook, Ulrich Mertens, p. 336
- Moldovenni, Cîmpul Drept village
- National Archives and Records Administration, microfilm T81 318 Frame #2448331/332. Original sketch by Unknown. Redrawn by James E. Helfenstein. Provided by the Dale Wahl Collection.
# # #