Alt-Oneschti was founded in 1885 on leased land near neighboring Strymbeni (founded 1881) and defunct colony Neu-Oneschti (founded 1890). The leased land was probably a part of the Russian village of Oneşti. This village actually dated back to 1528. It's name changed to Purceleni sometime around 1632 and then back to Oneşti after the German population was repatriated back to Germany in 1939.
In 1904, the population was 170, and in 1939, the population was 351. Today the village continues to be called Oneşti, is in Moldova, and, in 2004, had a population of 1,196.
Plat map of Alt-Oneschti
Source: Jarbuch der Deutschen aus Bessarabien 1992
Map courtesy of the Black Sea German Research plat map collection
|Location of Alt-Oneschti|
# # #